Thursday, February 19, 2009

Speak the Truth

Then they sent to him some Pharisees and some Herodians to trap him in what he said. And they came and said to him, ‘Teacher, we know that you are sincere, and show deference to no one; for you do not regard people with partiality, but teach the way of God in accordance with truth. Is it lawful to pay taxes to the emperor, or not? Should we pay them, or should we not?’ But knowing their hypocrisy, he said to them, ‘Why are you putting me to the test? Bring me a denarius and let me see it.’ And they brought one. Then he said to them, ‘Whose head is this, and whose title?’ They answered, ‘The emperor’s.’ Jesus said to them, ‘Give to the emperor the things that are the emperor’s, and to God the things that are God’s.’ And they were utterly amazed at him.
-Mark 12:13-17


Here we have Jesus again at his storytelling, eloquent, witty best. Bring me a coin! Whose head is on it? Whose image? This is the same idea when we are told we are made in the image of God, or that Jesus comes in the name of the Lord. What is the Lord's is the Lord's, what is Caesar's is Caesar's. And Jesus knows precisely how to answer their query.

I am amazed as are the Pharisees in this story at Jesus' lightning wit. He's an inspiration to all of us who feel a contradiction between this brilliant, witty and intelligent man, and the public image we are often given of a quiet and meek Jesus. I don't see him that way. This Jesus is quick to retort, and quicker to turn the tables on those questioning him. He speaks for a purpose, he doesn't mince words, and he doesn't do anything that isn't necessary. No idle talk here, just what needs to be done.

I often wonder why we don't have such models in our lives as Jesus when we explore how we communicate ourselves. We're not asked by Jesus to put our minds to sleep and just be obedient, but if we follow his example, instead, we are asked to keep up with him - to develop our minds, our wit, our alacrity and especially our vocabulary! This is a man with a way to tell a story, to reach people, and to use language that any good orator (or attorney) would envy. That is what I am asked to be by the Jesus I read and think about. And I do love that Jesus.

So, what I think about when I read these stories is how am I using language? What am I doing in my life and communications with others? Am I wasting my time with idle talk or with those who don't want to hear it? Am I speaking for a purpose, with truth, and using my mind and heart as fully as I can? These are the questions this Jesus imposes for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment