Tuesday, September 11, 2012

If I do not do the works of My Father, do not believe Me; but if I do, though you do not believe Me, believe the works, that you may know and believe

Then the Jews took up stones again to stone Him. Jesus answered them, "Many good works I have shown you from My Father. For which of these works do you stone Me?" The Jews answered Him, saying, "For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy, and because You, being a Man, make Yourself God." Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your law, 'I said, "You are gods" '? If He called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture cannot be broken), do you say of Him whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, 'You are blaspheming,' because I said, 'I am the Son of God'? If I do not do the works of My Father, do not believe Me; but if I do, though you do not believe Me, believe the works, that you may know and believe that the Father is in Me, and I in Him." Therefore they sought again to seize Him, but He escaped out of their hand.

And He went away again beyond the Jordan to the place where John was baptizing at first, and there He stayed. Then many came to Him and said, "John performed no sign, but all the things that John spoke about this Man were true." And many believed in Him there.

- John 10:31-42

In yesterday's reading, we were at the end or aftermath of Jesus' discourse with the temple leadership in Jerusalem at the Feast of Tabernacles. Throughout chapters 7 through 9 of John's Gospel, events have taken place around and just after this feast. The leadership is left divided. Some said, "He has a demon and is mad. Why do you listen to Him?" Others said, "These are not the words of one who has a demon. Can a demon open the eyes of the blind?" John's Gospel returns us then back to the temple, to a festival three months later. It is the Feast of Dedication or Hanukkah, a winter festival. Jesus walked in the temple, and the leadership asked Him, "How long do You keep us in doubt? If You are the Christ, tell us plainly." Jesus said, referring to His discourse to them earlier, "I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in My Father's name, they bear witness of Me. But you do not believe, because you are not of My sheep, as I said to you. My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish, neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father's hand. I and My Father are one."

Then the Jews took up stones again to stone Him. Jesus answered them, "Many good works I have shown you from My Father. For which of these works do you stone Me?" Jesus once again uses His works as witness - even as evidence against an accusation. What sin has He committed? For which work do they stone Him? We have seen six signs so far in the Gospel of John, the last being Jesus' healing of the man blind from birth at the previous Feast of Tabernacles.

The Jews answered Him, saying, "For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy, and because You, being a Man, make Yourself God." Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your law, 'I said, "You are gods" '? If He called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture cannot be broken), do you say of Him whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, 'You are blaspheming,' because I said, 'I am the Son of God'?" My study bible says, "Jesus' question comes in response to the Pharisees' charge of blasphemy. What the Lord is saying, according to St. John Chrysostom, is this: 'If those who have received this honor by grace are not found with fault for calling themselves gods, how can He who has this by nature deserve to be rebuked?" Jesus is quoting from Psalm 82:6.

"If I do not do the works of My Father, do not believe Me; but if I do, though you do not believe Me, believe the works, that you may know and believe that the Father is in Me, and I in Him." Therefore they sought again to seize Him, but He escaped out of their hand. Again, Jesus goes to His works which witness the presence of the Father with Him. Today's reading is all about witness and testimony.

And He went away again beyond the Jordan to the place where John was baptizing at first, and there He stayed. Then many came to Him and said, "John performed no sign, but all the things that John spoke about this Man were true." And many believed in Him there. Again we return to witnessing and testimony. The place beyond the Jordan where John was baptizing at first is a place filled with those who became John's disciples, who revered John the Baptist as a holy man. Through faith, they not only accept the witness of John, but they can also see that John's witness was borne out in the works of Christ: "All the things John spoke about this Man were true." John served God by serving Christ, the One of whom He said, "He must increase, but I must decrease" and "He who has the bride is the bridegroom." Christ serves the Father. Testimony and service go hand in hand, and both are received through faith, trust.

Today's reading tells us about witnessing. How do we receive witness? What gives us trust that testimony is true? Our hearts tell us so, through faith or through deceit. Luke's Gospel tells us that after Herod Antipas sent Christ back to Pilate for judgment, after mocking Him, Herod and Pilate became fast friends. So some may be locked in bonds of untruth, while others relate in truth. How do you receive witness? What is it that inspires your faith, your trust? If we look at the Gospel reading, if we look at the relationships here of the ones mentioned, John the Baptist and Jesus, then we look at what and Who they serve, what kind of people they are. Jesus we know as One who has declared Himself the Son, and said in the previous reading, "I and the Father are one." John served with humility despite his great following and wide fame in Israel as a prophet. So, the question becomes, what do you serve? And how do you witness to that service? John witnessed and Jesus as incarnate Man also witnessed: His works were witnesses to the Father's presence. Let us consider what witnessing is, its essence, and its power among us. Those with the capacity for faith will hear the Shepherd's voice and respond to true witnessing. How do you witness your faith, the working of God in your heart? All that we do may bear witness to Christ's presence within us and with us, to the work of the Holy Spirit in our lives. What's your witness? Who is it that you deeply desire to serve?


No comments:

Post a Comment