Saturday, September 20, 2014

He who rejects Me, and does not receive My words, has that which judges him -- the word that I have spoken will judge him in the last day


Then Jesus cried out and said, "He who believes in Me, believes not in Me but in Him who sent Me.  And he who sees me sees Him who sent Me.  I have come as a light into the world, that whoever believes in Me should not abide in darkness.  And if anyone hears My words and does not believe, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world but to save the world.  He who rejects Me, and does not receive My words, has that which judges him -- the word that I have spoken will judge him in the last day.  For I have not spoken on My own authority; but the Father who sent Me gave Me a command, what I should say and what I should speak.  And I know that His command is everlasting life.  Therefore, whatever I speak, just as the Father has told Me, so I speak."

- John 12:44-50

In recent readings, the setting is Jerusalem, and it is the last week of Jesus' earthly life.  Yesterday, we read that He taught, "While you have the light, believe in the light, that you may become sons of light."  These things Jesus spoke, and departed, and was hidden from them.  But although He had done so many signs before them, they did not believe in Him, that the word of Isaiah the prophet might be fulfilled, which he spoke:  "Lord, who has believed our report?  And to whom has the arm of the LORD been revealed?"  Therefore they could not believe, because Isaiah said again:  "He has blinded their eyes and hardened their hearts, lest they should see with their eyes, lest they should understand with their hearts and turn, so that I should heal them."  These things Isaiah said when he saw His glory and spoke of Him. Nevertheless even among the rulers many believed in Him, but because of the Pharisees they did not confess Him, lest they should be put out of the synagogue; for they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God.

 Then Jesus cried out and said, "He who believes in Me, believes not in Me but in Him who sent Me.  And he who sees me sees Him who sent Me.  I have come as a light into the world, that whoever believes in Me should not abide in darkness."  Jesus returns, again and again, to the image of light.  He has said that He is the light of the world.  In recent chapters, He has repeatedly warned that we must walk in the light, and not in the darkness.  He has taught us that we must become children of light.  These words are spoken shortly before He will die on the Cross, but we must ponder how we may have this light in us and be children of light.  The key is faith.

"And if anyone hears My words and does not believe, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world but to save the world.  He who rejects Me, and does not receive My words, has that which judges him -- the word that I have spoken will judge him in the last day.  For I have not spoken on My own authority; but the Father who sent Me gave Me a command, what I should say and what I should speak.  And I know that His command is everlasting life.  Therefore, whatever I speak, just as the Father has told Me, so I speak."  My study bible says, "Christ does not judge with favoritism or partiality.  He has spoken the words of life, words of love, forgiveness, repentance, virtue, and mercy.  His words will be the unbending standard by which all people are judged on the last day."

Jesus first speaks of Himself as the light of the world, and then illuminates us as to how we may always walk in His light.  His words are of God; His will united with the Father.  Therefore the commands given by Christ are everlasting life.  In His teachings and His commands, therefore, we find the light, the light that is of life itself -- everlasting life, life in abundance that He promises to us.  But there's a very careful warning here, as my study bible has pointed out.  God does not compel anyone to love Him, Jesus doesn't force anyone to love His word, to live in the light, to follow and believe in His command.  All that He says is true:  He is the light, His words are everlasting life.  But our hearts, ultimately, are our own.  As we read in yesterday's reading, both Old and New Testaments indicate that people are free to be entirely ignorant of these words, these commands, this light.  They are free to be "hard of heart" if they so choose, free to be spiritually blind and deaf.  But this becomes their choice to reject the everlasting life that is in these commands and this light of life.  Judgment, therefore, is an acceptance of those who wish this life and light for themselves, and also a kind of freedom for those who reject, to remain as they are in their refusal of this light and life.  We know what His teachings are, and we have a good idea what it is to reject them.  My study bible characterizes Jesus' words as words of life, words of love, forgiveness, repentance, virtue, and mercy.  We also know His opinion of hypocrites, who don't love God enough to truly take these things into their hearts.  So let us remain here, with Him, with the words of light and life that He has come to offer.  Do we accept or reject?  Do we believe?  Do we love, or trust?  He makes it clear -- it's up to us.  At some point, we are left to our own devices (as my study bible put it in a note from yesterday's reading), we are left in our rejection or acceptance.  It's important to remember that we are not the Judge, and how deep our freedom, in God's sight, really goes.  But it's important to consider what that freedom is for, and the glory that is made an offer to us.