Monday, August 23, 2010

He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him

The Jews therefore quarreled among themselves, saying, "How can this Man give us His flesh to eat?" Then Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat of the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For My flesh is food indeed, and My blood is drink indeed. He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him. As the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so he who feeds on Me will live because of Me. This is the bread which came down from heaven -- not as your fathers ate the manna, and are dead. He who eats this bread will live forever." These things He said in the synagogue as He taught in Capernaum.

- John 6:52-59

In Saturday's reading, Jesus made this statement: "If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread that I shall give is My flesh, which I shall give for the life of the world." Today, Jesus continues from this statement, and answers the question of His baffled listeners.

I'll begin by repeating a note from the last reading, which applies to the whole passage: "The eucharistic significance of this passage is indisputable. Jesus' declaration that He is Himself the living bread which brings us life is intended to reveal the eucharistic feast. His offering is not for His people only but for the life of the world."

The Jews therefore quarreled among themselves, saying, "How can this Man give us His flesh to eat?" Then Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat of the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you." My study bible notes here: "Christ's body was crucified and His blood shed on the Cross. We receive the benefits of Christ's sacrifice by coming to Him in faith (v. 35), and by communion with Him: we eat His flesh and drink His blood. These words refer directly to the Eucharist, the mystery of Christ our life. His words are clear: To receive everlasting life, we must partake of His eucharistic flesh and blood. St. John Chrysostom (Homily 47:2) teaches we must not understand the sacrament carnally, that is, according to the laws of physical nature, but spiritually (v. 63), perceiving a true but mystical presence of Christ in the Eucharist." What strikes me about this verse (Jesus' reply to His questioners) is that He is stating an absolute need in us. For life, we need this blood and flesh that He offers. It is something that gives to us a necessary ingredient for life and all that may mean. Jesus has spoken of eternal life, a life which we live with Him - but this life may also give us more: ourselves in an authentic sense of selfhood, meanings and values, relationships, love, and much more.

"Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For My flesh is food indeed, and My blood is drink indeed." My study bible notes: "St. Hilary of Poitiers writes, 'What we say concerning the reality of Christ's nature within us would be foolish and impious were we not taught by His very words. . . . There is no room left for doubt about the reality of His flesh and blood, because we have both the witness of His words and our own faith. Thus, when we eat and drink these elements we are in Christ and Christ is in us' (On the Trinity, Book VIII, 14). This reality, however, is a profound mystery of faith and grace. Orthodox theology teaches that in the Eucharist we partake not simply of the physical/material, but of the deified and glorified Body and Blood of Christ which gives resurrection life."

"He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him. As the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so he who feeds on Me will live because of Me." Speaking for myself, I find these words to be crucial to my understanding of my faith. Jesus invites us into a much deeper communion, a relationship, than we can imagine. We are not only in relationship the way that you and I would think of relationship, but we live in one another. Christ abides in us and we abide in Him. How much more profound can relationship become? It cannot become more profound. Moreover, Jesus compares this relationship to that which He has with the Father. He Himself is eternal because of the Father - we too will live because of Christ. This is a continuation of His teaching on eternal life: that He will not lose a single one given Him by the Father. He loves us and wants us eternally with Him in this communion, this profound depth of relationship.

"This is the bread which came down from heaven -- not as your fathers ate the manna, and are dead. He who eats this bread will live forever." These things He said in the synagogue as He taught in Capernaum. Jesus has been explaining what the "bread which came down from heaven" truly is. (See Saturday's reading for the beginning of this dialogue.) The bread which came down from heaven is that which gives us life - creates this depth of communion in us, so that we may be truly with Him, as He has said, we abide in Him and He abides in us.

How does this depth of relationship work in your life? How have you experienced it? Do you call upon this inner voice in the "secret place" for guidance in your life? Do you pray for what you need, and the answers to help you with choices? I know many, many people who have gone through hard times in life, very difficult choices, who came to rely on such prayer for help with the answers. Jesus has promised us this depth, and it grows through nurturing in so many ways we can think of to practice religious and spiritual life. But the key, for me, is experience of this. Call on this help, keep your mind open to receive it (this is the start of repentance) - and change what needs to be changed that gets in the way. I find that thinking we already have all the answers is a great obstacle to this teaching. But think about this communion, and what it can mean - and turn and listen and share in that life of spiritual experience with Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment