Friday, April 29, 2011

When He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth

"These things I have spoken to you, that you should not be made to stumble. They will put you out of the synagogues; yes, the time is coming that whoever kills you will think that he offers God service. And these things they will do to you because they have not known the Father nor Me. But these things I have told you, that when the time comes, you may remember that I told you of them.

"And these things I did not say to you at the beginning, because I was with you. But now I go away to Him who sent Me, and none of you asks Me, 'Where are You going?' But because I have said these things to you, sorrow has filled your heart. Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you. And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: of sin, because they do not believe in Me; of righteousness, because I go to My Father and you see Me no more; of judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged.

"I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you all things to come. He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you. All things that the Father has are Mine. Therefore I said that He will take of Mine and declare it to you."

- John 16:1-15

We continue with Jesus' Farewell Discourse at the Last Supper. In yesterday's reading, He said, "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends." Jesus went on to warn His disciples that the servant is not greater than the master -- that they would encounter hatred in the world, just as He did, in fulfillment of the Scriptures: "They hated Me without a cause." But the Spirit of truth, the Holy Spirit, will be with us to give us true testimony, so that we may fulfill His love and bear His fruits that glorify the Father.

"These things I have spoken to you, that you should not be made to stumble. They will put you out of the synagogues; yes, the time is coming that whoever kills you will think that he offers God service. And these things they will do to you because they have not known the Father nor Me. But these things I have told you, that when the time comes, you may remember that I told you of them." Jesus faces His persecution, and warns His disciples of the persecutions to come that they will undergo. We see a chain of relationship here: to know the Father is to know Christ, and vice versa. Hatred comes of those who have not known and cannot understand this love, and we too may perhaps encounter this in our lives.

"And these things I did not say to you at the beginning, because I was with you. But now I go away to Him who sent Me, and none of you asks Me, 'Where are You going?' But because I have said these things to you, sorrow has filled your heart." My study bible has a lengthy and informative note about this word, sorrow. "The word sorrow means extreme grief, leading to a state of severe depression,' which is a sinful passion. Thus, St. John Chrysostom writes, 'Great is the tyranny of despondency.' This sin is also constantly referred to in the writings of the Desert Fathers. Even when the world hates true Christians, they must not become despondent, but take comfort from the Holy Spirit. The disciples are troubled not only because Jesus is leaving them, but also because of the ongoing struggle between light and darkness, between Jesus and the prince of this world." This word used here in the Greek is commonly used to express grief and condolences for others on any form of loss. As a person who has experienced sorrow and sadness in my life, I believe what the note in my study bible is leading us toward in its note is describing as "sin" a sense of total despair--instead it is teaching that we find comfort in our Comforter. As Christians, when we experience this hatred and loss, when we are severely disappointed, it's not enough to simply rest in what the world would hand us. This is a form of spiritual blindness to who we truly are. Instead we must find our way through our relationship, and seek the Comforter for the way forward. It is in this love and relationship that we take our perspective on the world, with all of its disappointments.

"Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you." Here Christ illustrates the point. The disciples are losing the greatest gift of all, God Incarnate, their Teacher, the Christ, Jesus who has loved them not as the world loves. But, just as He illustrated before when He spoke of the grain of wheat that falls to the ground, He is assuring them that it is a far greater gift that He now brings: the Helper, the Comforter, the Holy Spirit -- that this is what must come into the world for those who will follow in the future. On Jesus' departure, He will send the Holy Spirit to them. And this is "to their advantage." It is a kind of exchange -- not as the world gives, but as God gives us.

"And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: of sin, because they do not believe in Me; of righteousness, because I go to My Father and you see Me no more; of judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged." We return to the language of the courts, of judgment and testimony. What do we take from this language? To convict, as translated here, is really to offer solid evidence, to convince. So, in effect, by the response of the world to this Spirit, it gives testimony and evidence as to the character of all, of each. How do we respond to the Spirit? For myself, I believe this has to do with the depth in all of us, and how we go through our lives. At every juncture, we seem to be offered a choice -- to turn to the Helper, or not. And, just as Jesus admonishes the disciples that it is to their advantage that they are sent the Comforter, so we are offered this gift as well. Do we take it? Can we fulfill the potentials it opens up for us in ourselves? We have a lifetime of choices to make. How we respond to that which knocks at the door of our hearts makes a convincing testimony about who we are. I believe this happens at such a depth that we cannot with certainty judge others as the knower of hearts can, but we must instead come to know and choose to be aware of it at work within ourselves, and that is the great crux -- for me -- of this teaching. Do we accept this gift? What we can know, however, is that "the ruler of this world is judged," that we have a Helper who is never going to abandon us, and that we have a way to go forward in life and must seek it. And we turn to the Spirit for discernment in our lives.

"I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you all things to come. He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you. All things that the Father has are Mine. Therefore I said that He will take of Mine and declare it to you." And here is the great fullness of this gift: that God gives us all things, in effect, all truth that Christ wishes for us. The fullness of that reality is ours in this great Comforter, the Spirit of truth that Jesus will send. And so, once again, how is it that we can refuse so great a gift? In this, it seems to me, is judgment. Which perspective do we choose -- the things that are of God and the fullness of "all things that (even) the Father has," or the perspective of the world whose ruler is judged?

So how can we refuse this gift? The answer to that is, in my opinion, quite simple. We can turn to the selfishness of our hearts, we can refuse to seek this Comforter, we can live in a "worldly" perspective that accepts casually all the things that harm others and bring them this sorrow and pain and sadness without comfort. Or we can seek the Comforter and find His words of "all things" that belong to God, to Christ, even to the Father. What we believe we need, we seek. To whom do you turn in your sorrow and despair, and what do you find there? In my experience, there is only one place that has the answers for me, and "the world" can't teach me properly how I have needed to respond to pain and loss. What's your choice? It's up to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment