Wednesday, March 25, 2009

I shall lose nothing of all that he has given me

Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures for eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For it is on him that God the Father has set his seal.’ Then they said to him, ‘What must we do to perform the works of God?’ Jesus answered them, ‘This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent.’ So they said to him, ‘What sign are you going to give us then, so that we may see it and believe you? What work are you performing? Our ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness; as it is written, “He gave them bread from heaven to eat.” ’ Then Jesus said to them, ‘Very truly, I tell you, it was not Moses who gave you the bread from heaven, but it is my Father who gives you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is that which comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.’ They said to him, ‘Sir, give us this bread always.’

Jesus said to them, ‘I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty. But I said to you that you have seen me and yet do not believe. Everything that the Father gives me will come to me, and anyone who comes to me I will never drive away; for I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day. This is indeed the will of my Father, that all who see the Son and believe in him may have eternal life; and I will raise them up on the last day.’

- John 6:27-40


Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures for eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For it is on him that God the Father has set his seal. Here in the gospel of John Jesus continues to spell out his theology to those who wish to receive the bread of life that does not perish. To do the work that it takes to receive this bread, this food that does not perish, is quite simple: one must simply believe. This is the labor that is required.

The crowd asks for a sign, that they may believe in him, and they mention the manna given to their ancestors in the wilderness. Jesus says that not only was this manna from God, the Father in heaven, but so he himself is sent from heaven by the Father, to collect all that belongs to the Father - all that has been given to Christ. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me. Those who have this faith, in whom this love and relationship is at work, Jesus will never drive away - they will remain with him always and he will not lose what he has been given.

My sense of awe at these words increases with the thought of wonder at just how this recognition takes shape. What causes belief? What causes us to love God or to love Christ? Is it something buried deep within us, so deep we can't access what it is? This is a great mystery for me, and I don't have an explanation for it. But I feel it must be something that is a part of our identity that is buried so deeply within our hearts that it's just not a matter for conscious decision or rational choice. It doesn't depend on signs. It can't be coaxed or forced - as much as the gospels and all that has been written about them are important, I don't believe this decision is made by mere persuasion but rather comes as some form of recognition, of trust and love. And a feeling of loyalty. How does love survive not merely a lack of signs, but disaster and famine and tragedy? How does love survive all things that will come to attack it, the evil and harm in the world? My ancestors survived a genocide - had they renounced their faith they could have been saved. Yet faith remained. I cannot even understand where my faith and love for Christ comes from, except a love and deep recognition in my heart for this beauty that I must be loyal to.

The psalmist says today:

My zeal consumes me

because my foes forget your words.

Your promise is well tried,

and your servant loves it.

I am small and despised,

yet I do not forget your precepts.

Your righteousness is an everlasting righteousness,

and your law is the truth.

Trouble and anguish have come upon me,

but your commandments are my delight.

Your decrees are righteous for ever;

give me understanding that I may live.


No comments:

Post a Comment