Wednesday, April 22, 2009

So that the world may know

‘I ask not only on behalf of these, but also on behalf of those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one. As you, Father, are in me and I am in you, may they also be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. The glory that you have given me I have given them, so that they may be one, as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may become completely one, so that the world may know that you have sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. Father, I desire that those also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory, which you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world.

‘Righteous Father, the world does not know you, but I know you; and these know that you have sent me. I made your name known to them, and I will make it known, so that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them.’

- John 17:20-26

As Jesus continues his prayer to the Father, he includes all believers - of all time - in his prayer. He prays that they all may be one, not only those who are gathered with him at the Last Supper, his apostles, but those who will believe through their word.

So, relationship is once more extended, not only to those present, but to those who will also be included in this oneness of relationship via the word of the apostles. Jesus says the Father is in him, and he is in the Father, and prays that we, believers, may also be in Them. This oneness of relationship with all believers is extended and enhanced: glory is in all, and he prays that love be in all and through all. In this way, Jesus prays, the world may know that He was sent by the Father. He prays for oneness of relationship, all in all, glory to all and love to all - and for the world's knowledge and understanding of this love. Jesus also prays that all believers be united with him in glory and love with the Father beyond this world, in the time of the eternal, that which was given before the foundation of the world.

In this prayer, Jesus extends his love and hopes not simply for all believers who are to come, but also for the world. He prays that through this faith and this oneness in love and glory and relationship, the world should come to understand that He was sent by the Father, loved by the Father, and so the world should come to be included in that love. He doesn't say this is a certain thing - but he prays for this eventuality.

Finally, he continues his prayer with a promise: that he has made the Father's name known to his apostles, that he will continue in future to make it known, so that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them. I take it, by inference, that it is through this love that the world may come to know this name, this love and this glory and believe this truth of relationship. I infer that the world should know God through the love we have in us, that we are capable of expressing, through this relationship. Are we doing our part in this love, to reflect this glory and this relationship in the world?


No comments:

Post a Comment