Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I am the light of the world

Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, ‘I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but will have the light of life.’ Then the Pharisees said to him, ‘You are testifying on your own behalf; your testimony is not valid.’ Jesus answered, ‘Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid because I know where I have come from and where I am going, but you do not know where I come from or where I am going. You judge by human standards; I judge no one. Yet even if I do judge, my judgement is valid; for it is not I alone who judge, but I and the Father who sent me. In your law it is written that the testimony of two witnesses is valid. I testify on my own behalf, and the Father who sent me testifies on my behalf.’ Then they said to him, ‘Where is your Father?’ Jesus answered, ‘You know neither me nor my Father. If you knew me, you would know my Father also.’ He spoke these words while he was teaching in the treasury of the temple, but no one arrested him, because his hour had not yet come.

- John 8:12-20

In the past several readings, Jesus has been teaching at the temple during the Feast of the Tabernacles. As we have explained in previous commentary (see My time has not yet fully come, The glory of God, Let anyone who is thirsty come to me, and Go your way), the Feast of Tabernacle or Booths is an eight-day autumn festival - Succoth in Hebrew. It is a commemoration of the time the ancient Israelites were wandering in the wilderness of Sinai, and lived in tents (or tabernacles). There are many traditions involved in the festival, commemorations of different events. It is important to note the context in which Jesus is speaking, because his words reflect new meanings on the ancient experiences and the commemorations. Just as we view the New Testament literature as a form of casting light or new meaning on the events of the Old Testament, so Jesus' words and speeches in his teaching do the same for his audience.

Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but will have the light of life." My study bible points out that during the Feast of Tabernacles, torches were lit in the temple court, and singing and dancing continued each night. In this context Jesus speaks of the "true light" of the world - just as he has spoken previously during this festival about the "rivers of living water" that he offers to those who thirst during an event commemorating the water that flowed from a rock when Moses struck it. We also recall the ancient Israelites led by a pillar of fire by night to cast light for their way. The image of light is an important one to our notions of God and grace: In John's first chapter (see John 1:4-10), we are told that the life in the Word that is God is the light of men, in Matthew's gospel Jesus has preached that his followers are to the "the light of the world." This light we consider to be "for the life of the world" - in that light is life itself. My study bible notes: "In these and other references in John, God is the source of this uncreated, life-giving light."

Then the Pharisees said to him, "You are testifying on your own behalf; your testimony is not valid." Jesus answered, "Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid because I know where I have come from and where I am going, but you do not know where I come from or where I am going. You judge by human standards; I judge no one. Yet even if I do judge, my judgement is valid; for it is not I alone who judge, but I and the Father who sent me. In your law it is written that the testimony of two witnesses is valid. I testify on my own behalf, and the Father who sent me testifies on my behalf." Jesus continues here to testify to his relationship to the Father. When quizzed by the authorities as to the validity of his testimony, Jesus responds with words teaching us about faith and its workings. He testifies of himself, of that which he has knowledge and they have none. He claims their judgment is not just - because true judgment of the inner identity of a person is not possible by human standards, by appearance. On human terms, Jesus does not judge - but he judges by a different standard, that of the Father. His testimony is that of the Father and himself: two witnesses. The depth of his relationship with the Father is sealed in the testimony of his judgment: that it is of the Father and with the Father who sent him.

Then they said to him, "Where is your Father?" Jesus answered, "You know neither me nor my Father. If you knew me, you would know my Father also." Again, as he has already done in John's gospel, Jesus testifies to this relationship and the ways in which it is "light" in us: if they knew him, they would know the Father. Repeatedly Jesus has taught that the true desire to do the will of the Father will result in recognition of who Jesus is (see The glory of God). In chapter 6, Jesus says, "It is written in the prophets, 'And they shall all be taught by God.' Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to me" (see For the life of the world).

He spoke these words while he was teaching in the treasury of the temple, but no one arrested him, because his hour had not yet come. Repeatedly John tells us of Jesus' preaching and the resistance of his listeners - especially the religious leadership - to what he has to say. Now they are openly condemning him as blasphemer and breaker of the Law, and seeking to arrest him. But once again, "his hour had not yet come." His hour is the time of the Cross. This phrasing is traditionally interpreted as another allusion to his nature as One with the Father. Time is in His hands.

So, the sense today is of Jesus repeatedly preaching his union with the Father, and the failure of this message to be heard or embraced. How do we hear this message? I think of it as an immediacy of Presence: we respond with what is written in our hearts, and what our hearts are open to makes all the difference. There is the sense of recognition here, combined with the notion of light. What light do you let into your heart, and where does that light cast itself in your understanding and reception? This light that is life itself has also been taught by Jesus to be our bread of life, his flesh and blood. It is also the water he gives us to drink, which causes our hearts to flow with rivers of living water. There is a holistic emphasis on the entirety of relationship and life, substance and the depth of understanding and life we are given in this relationship, which we then share with the world. All of it inseparable from God - Father, Son and Spirit - and also inseparable from the deepest part of ourselves, the heart. This isn't just a light outside of ourselves, but a transforming substance which becomes a part of our own deepest selves. It is the light of recognition, of understanding, and depth of relationship that must flow through all. How do we "see" today? How does that light cast light for you today, illuminating the facets of what you thought you knew in the past and giving you new insight today, new faith, new life?


No comments:

Post a Comment