Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM

"He who is of God hear God's words; therefore you do not hear, because you are not of God."

Then the Jews answered and said to Him, "Do we not say rightly that You are a Samaritan and have a demon?" Jesus answered, "I do not have a demon; but I honor My Father, and you dishonor Me. And I do not seek My own glory; there is One who seeks and judges. Most assuredly, I say to you, if anyone keeps My word he shall never see death."

Then the Jews said to Him, "Now we know that You have a demon! Abraham is dead, and the prophets and You say, "If anyone keeps My word he shall never taste death.' Are you greater than our father Abraham, who is dead? And the prophets are dead. Who do you make Yourself out to be?" Jesus answered, "If I honor Myself, My honor is nothing. It is My Father who honors Me, of whom you say that He is your God. Yet you have not known Him, but I know Him. And if I say, 'I do not know Him,' I shall be a liar like you; but I do know Him and keep His word. Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad." Then the Jews said to Him, "You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen Abraham?" Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM." Then they took up stones to throw at Him; but Jesus hid Himself and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.

- John 8:47-59

In yesterday's reading, Jesus has said that those who commit sin are slaves to sin. This builds on the understanding that truth makes us free. He has been elucidating the relationship between Himself and the Father, and the way his questioners hear his words. They cannot understand because they have a different father. See Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave to sin.

"He who is of God hear God's words; therefore you do not hear, because you are not of God." How do we respond to the teachings of Christ? How do we have faith, or know what we are listening to? Jesus has made a clear connection between the Father and Himself and those who listen, or follow Him. He has said that no one can come to Him except by the Father, and when Peter made his confession of faith, Jesus stated that this revelation could come only through the Father. Therefore, those who now stand before him are those for whom there is a different love in the heart. Living truth is an important concept: it teaches us that God is something that must be always present in us and to us. Jesus taught that to be His disciples, to abide in His word, means that we are always ready to learn.

Then the Jews answered and said to Him, "Do we not say rightly that You are a Samaritan and have a demon?" Jesus answered, "I do not have a demon; but I honor My Father, and you dishonor Me. And I do not seek My own glory; there is One who seeks and judges. Most assuredly, I say to you, if anyone keeps My word he shall never see death." My study bible notes that Samaritans were viewed as demon-possessed heretics. Christ repeats to them that He honors the Father and they dishonor Him. Over and over again, we are given the connection to the Father as the essential reality He expresses, and which is expressed in us through faith and understanding. This connection is thorough and complete, it encircles us. And there is more of importance here: emphasis on the Father means Christ seeks only the Father's will and glory, and that this is where judgment comes from. He has said already in this discourse that He does not judge of Himself. His word itself, then, is life. To keep His word is to remain with Him, even into His eternal life. So if we tie the statements together (see previous paragraph), we come to understand that our minds open to spiritual truth and learning give us a door, access to this everlasting life. This is not a one-time learning, but a process that requires that we be always present to spiritual understanding and continual learning and growth.

Then the Jews said to Him, "Now we know that You have a demon! Abraham is dead, and the prophets and You say, "If anyone keeps My word he shall never taste death.' Are you greater than our father Abraham, who is dead? And the prophets are dead. Who do you make Yourself out to be?" Jesus answered, "If I honor Myself, My honor is nothing. It is My Father who honors Me, of whom you say that He is your God. Yet you have not known Him, but I know Him. And if I say, 'I do not know Him,' I shall be a liar like you; but I do know Him and keep His word." Again, John's Gospel draws us out of the obvious and into mystery. What is the meaning behind Jesus' words? The obvious is that Abraham, and the prophets, lived long ago. But Jesus' eternal present is speaking of a heavenly reality. Jesus' expression of His connection to the Father takes on a stronger touch: if He denied his knowledge and relationship to the Father then He would be a liar like they are. He says, "If I honor Myself, My honor is nothing." To live in that relatedness to God is all for Him. The glory of men is not what He seeks for Himself. Indeed, it is the extraordinary character of humility in Jesus that makes His words believable.

Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad." Then the Jews said to Him, "You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen Abraham?" Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM." Then they took up stones to throw at Him; but Jesus hid Himself and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by. My study bible notes here: "I AM (Grk. ego eimi) is a name of God in the Old Testament, first revealed to Moses at the burning bush (Ex.3:13-15; Is. 43:10; see also John 4:26; 6:20; 8:24, 28; 13:19; 18:5-8). To the Jews this pronouncement was a direct, explicit, and unmistakable claim to perfect equality with God. John places special emphasis on the use of the expression for the purpose of revealing Christ as God. In context, this statement illuminates what He began saying in v. 51, that those who keep His word will neither see nor taste death. Only God has power over death, and Jesus is claiming such power." Jesus has taught them (in yesterday's reading) that God is with Him: "And He who sent Me is with Me. The Father has not left Me alone, for I always do those things that please Him." But here, there is much more, Jesus goes further. It is Christ who was with God, "before Abraham was," in an eternally present I AM.

What is anyone to make of such extraordinary words? Is He "a Samaritan and has a demon?" Is He a deliberate blasphemer, making Himself equal with God? What is this extraordinary concept of the Son, not an awaited Prophet, but something else, something new? Jesus brings in His powerful speeches before the temple, before the people, before the leadership, all that He declares of Himself - and He continues. He goes further. When they are outraged, puzzled and astounded, He goes further. And yet, this is a humble man. He is not there with an army assembled to defend Himself. He is quite the opposite - He did not come to the festival with a display of supporters or other signs or miracles such as those He's already performed. He is just Himself. There is a deliberate sense of implication that authority is something conferred through two witnesses: the Father and Himself, and that is enough. That is a part of His teaching. When have we seen great men with this kind of humility? Without a show of support and authority necessary in an appearance? Let us consider then Jesus' humility, the One whom they want to stone, but who hides Himself in the crowd, "and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by." Who is this elusive Man, with His words and His authority, that inspires belief?


No comments:

Post a Comment