Saturday, September 21, 2024

I have come as a light into the world, that whoever believes in Me should not abide in darkness

 
 Then Jesus cried out and said, "He who believes in Me, believes not in Me but in Him who sent Me.  And he who sees Me sees Him who sent Me.  I have come as a light into the world, that whoever believes in Me should not abide in darkness.  And if anyone hears My words and does not believe, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world but to save the world.  He who rejects Me, and does not receive My words, has that which judges him -- the word that I have spoken will judge him in the last day.  For I have not spoken on My own authority; but the Father who sent Me gave Me a command, what I should say and what I should speak.  And I know that His command is everlasting life.  Therefore, whatever I speak, just as the Father has told Me, so I speak."
 
- John 12:44-50 
 
In our current readings the setting is Holy Week, the final week of Christ's earthly life.  He has been speaking in the temple in Jerusalem.  In yesterday's reading, Jesus taught, "While you have the light, believe in the light, that you may become sons of light."  These things Jesus spoke, and departed, and was hidden from them. But although He had done so many signs before them, they did not believe in Him, that the word of Isaiah the prophet might be fulfilled, which he spoke:  "Lord, who has believed our report?  And to whom has the arm of the LORD been revealed?" Therefore they could not believe, because Isaiah said again:  "He has blinded their eyes and hardened their hearts, lest they should see with their eyes, lest they should understand with their hearts and turn, so that I should heal them." These things Isaiah said when he saw His glory and spoke of Him. Nevertheless even among the rulers many believed in Him, but because of the Pharisees they did not confess Him, lest they should be put out of the synagogue; for they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God.   

 Then Jesus cried out and said, "He who believes in Me, believes not in Me but in Him who sent Me. And he who sees Me sees Him who sent Me.  I have come as a light into the world, that whoever believes in Me should not abide in darkness.  And if anyone hears My words and does not believe, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world but to save the world.  He who rejects Me, and does not receive My words, has that which judges him -- the word that I have spoken will judge him in the last day.  For I have not spoken on My own authority; but the Father who sent Me gave Me a command, what I should say and what I should speak.  And I know that His command is everlasting life.  Therefore, whatever I speak, just as the Father has told Me, so I speak."  My study Bible comments that Christ does not judge with favoritism or partiality.  He has spoken the words of life, words of love, forgiveness, repentance, virtue, and mercy.  It notes that His words will be the unbending standard by which all people are judged on the last day.

 Jesus' final address here in the temple concludes, while the following three chapters deliver to us Jesus' farewell words to His disciples at the Last Supper (John 13 - 17).  Here Jesus' final words sum up what a great deal of John's Gospel has had to teach us about His message and about judgment.  Jesus is here in the world to save, not to condemn (John 3:17).  But the words themselves, given to Him by the Father, constitute judgment:  whatever side of these words one falls upon becomes de facto judgment, for they are the words of life (John 6:63).   Here, He says that they are the Father's commands, and the Father's command is everlasting life.  In this sense, Christ has come "as a light into the world, that whoever believes in Me should not abide in darkness."  We might be tempted to abstract out Christ's words and teachings, to decide that without worship, or even without a deity, we can accept His teachings as moral lessons and simply seek to live by them as we will, or as we can.  Many think that this will suffice.  But in order to do that, one would have to strip out all meaning of communion, and the essential importance of Person-to-person relationships that Christ purveys here.  Christ has called Himself the good shepherd:  "I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own."  He knows the sheep, and the sheep know Him.  They recognize His voice:  "To him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep hear his voice; and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. And when he brings out his own sheep, he goes before them; and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice" (John 10:3-4, 14).  The teachings and commands He gives to us are not abstracted principles, they are living, they are even "everlasting life," and this does not come through cold absolutes, but originate in love, the love the comes from the divine Persons (Father, Son, and Spirit) to us -- and which we may likewise return so that we grow and participate in this communal relationship of love.  This are commands given to us which give us light: the light of a communion of saints, of a Kingdom, of adoption as heirs.  It is unmistakable that we enter into this place where the fullness of our participation is unity, to be eternally with God.  At the Last Supper, Jesus will pray, "Father, I desire that they also whom You gave Me may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory which You have given Me; for You loved Me before the foundation of the world. O righteous Father! The world has not known You, but I have known You; and these have known that You sent Me. And I have declared to them Your name, and will declare it, that the love with which You loved Me may be in them, and I in them" (John 17:24-26).  He will institute the Eucharist at the Last Supper, affirming the depth of communion as the substance of faith and worship and His saving mission into the world.  Let us always seek to live in His light which is love (1 John 4:8).  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment