Monday, September 2, 2024

If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free

 
 Then Jesus said to them again, "I am going away, and you will seek Me, and will die in your sin.  Where I go you cannot come."  So the Jews said, "Will He kill Himself, because He says, 'Where I go you cannot come'?"  And He said to them, "You are from beneath; I am from above.  You are of this world; I am not of this world.  Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins."  Then they said to Him, "Who are You?"  And Jesus said to them, "Just what I have been saying to you from the beginning.  I have many things to say and to judge concerning you, but He who sent Me is true; and I speak to the world those things which I heard from Him."  They did not understand that He spoke to them of the Father.  
 
Then Jesus said to them, "When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am He, and that I do nothing of Myself; but as My Father taught Me, I speak these things.  And He who sent Me is with Me.  The Father has not left Me alone, for I always do those things that please Him."  As He spoke these words, many believed in Him.  

Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, "If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed.  And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."
 
- John 8:21–32 
 
In our current readings, Jesus is at the Feast of Tabernacles, and it is the final year of His earthly life.  The religious leaders have tried and failed to have Him arrested, and He teaches the people and disputes in the temple with the religious leaders.  Yesterday we read that Jesus spoke to them again, saying, "I am the light of the world.  He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life."  The Pharisees therefore said to Him, "You bear witness of Yourself; Your witness is not true."  Jesus answered and said to them, "Even if I bear witness of Myself, My witness is true, for I know where I came from and where I am going; but you do not know where I come from and where I am going.  You judge according to the flesh; I judge no one.  And yet if I do judge, My judgment is true; for I am not alone, but I am with the Father who sent Me.  It is also written in your law that the testimony of two men is true.  I am One who bears witness of Myself, and the Father who sent Me bears witness of Me."  Then they said to Him, "Where is Your Father?"  Jesus answered, "You know neither Me nor My Father.  If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also."  These words Jesus spoke in the treasury, as He taught in the temple; and no one laid hands on Him, for His hour had not yet come.  
 
  Then Jesus said to them again, "I am going away, and you will seek Me, and will die in your sin.  Where I go you cannot come."  So the Jews said, "Will He kill Himself, because He says, 'Where I go you cannot come'?"  And He said to them, "You are from beneath; I am from above.  You are of this world; I am not of this world.  Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins."  Then they said to Him, "Who are You?"  And Jesus said to them, "Just what I have been saying to you from the beginning.  I have many things to say and to judge concerning you, but He who sent Me is true; and I speak to the world those things which I heard from Him."  They did not understand that He spoke to them of the Father.   My study Bible comments here that going away refers to Christ's death, Resurrection, and Ascension into heaven.  

Then Jesus said to them, "When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am He, and that I do nothing of Myself; but as My Father taught Me, I speak these things.  And He who sent Me is with Me.  The Father has not left Me alone, for I always do those things that please Him."  As He spoke these words, many believed in Him.   My study Bible says that lift up has the double meaning of being nailed to the Cross and also Christ being exalted by the Father upon the completion of His work.  

Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, "If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed."  Here my study Bible concludes that Jesus expects all who follow Him to be disciples.  That is, "learners" as the Greek word is directly translated.  To abide in His word is the responsibility of all faithful believers, not simply of the clergy or an elite class of zealots.  
 
"And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."  My study Bible says that the truth refers both to the virtue of truth, and even more importantly, to Christ Himself (John 14:6).  To be free is a reference to the freedom from darkness, confusion, and lies, as well as the freedom from the bondage of sin and death.  

Today's reading almost begs us to ask the question, "What is truth?"  It is a precise question which will be asked by Pilate at Christ's trial before him (John 18:38).  It's a question that many theologians, philosophers, and others have asked since the Gospels were written, and likely before even in pre-Christian societies such as the ancient Greek and Roman.  It's a modern question, too, with all kinds of answers from psychologists and philosophers to scientists and scholars of language and so many other focuses.  And it remains a question intensely scrutinized today.  There is a famous film by the Japanese director Akira Kurosawa, titled "Rashomon," which focuses very much on this question.  It's the story of a violent incident, as told in three different perspectives by the characters who participated in the original act, each with their own version of what exactly happened.  Today, as battles rage around the world, the question also plagues us, especially when we ask -- if we do -- how peace is possible.  But in this conflagration of worldly problems, let us go back to Christ and His answer.  Why does He say to those Jews who believed Him, "If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed.  And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."  First of all, we know that the term "the Jews" is most often used in John's Gospel to denote the religious leaders.  As Jesus is disputing and teaching in the temple in Jerusalem, this seems quite possible that it refers to those among the leadership who believe in the words of Christ.   So, if this assumption is correct, Christ is directly addressing those who will be conflicted in their loyalties to the chief priests and Pharisees who by now seek to have Him arrested and plot to kill Him.  What He is telling them is to take confidence in His word, and His teaching.  For to abide in His word is to come to know the truth.  That is, the truth of who He is, the truth of what He teaches, the truth of what we find in communion with God.  He explains the integrity of His word this way:  ". . . He who sent Me is true; and I speak to the world those things which I heard from Him. . . I do nothing of Myself; but as My Father taught Me, I speak these things.  And He who sent Me is with Me.  The Father has not left Me alone, for I always do those things that please Him."  This is the spiritual reality of the Kingdom, the salvation which Christ seeks to open for each one of us, and for His own community as Savior.  The truth that makes free, then, is the truth from this communion that sets us apart from all else so that we have one highest and deepest and most profound priority, and that comes from the grace of God which works through faith.  This truth will set Joseph of Arimathea and Nicodemus, both members of the Sanhedrin, free enough to participate in Christ's burial, and to follow Him after the Resurrection.  It will set free the centurion who will preside over His Crucifixion, and who will come to know that He is truly the Son of God (Matthew 27:54).  It will free one of the soldiers with Him, whom we know in the Church as St. Longinus, who pierced Christ's side with a spear (John 19:38).  It will set free the feared persecutor of the Church, Saul, the one who was "breathing threats and murder against the disciples of the Lord," to become the great apostle we know as St. Paul (Acts 9).  St. Paul will write of Christ's word in which we are to abide, "For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart" (Hebrews 4:12).  Jesus Himself will say of His word and His truth, "Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword. . . . He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it" (Matthew 10:34-39).  To find and abide in Christ's word, then, is to find something to take root in at the deepest sense of ourselves; it is to find a truth that sets us free from every other tie, settling our lives into a loyalty and love that gives us a depth within which to ground ourselves, a plumb line to His truth which marks out for us where we belong and don't belong.  Christ's word and truth give us something we can trust in, a light for ourselves and which we can share with others, so that we all might find our way through a confusing world, and one in which truth is deliberately obscured for all kinds of reasons.  Let us find the depth of what we need, in Him. 





No comments:

Post a Comment