Wednesday, February 16, 2022

I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own

 
 "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door, but climbs up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.  But he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep.  To him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep hear his voice; and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.  And when he brings out his own sheep, he goes before them; and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice.  Yet they will by no means follow a stranger, but will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers."  Jesus used this illustration, but they did not understand the things which He spoke to them.

Then Jesus said to them again, "Most assuredly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep.  All who ever came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them.  I am the door.  If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture.  The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy.  I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.  
 
"I am the good shepherd.  The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep.  But a hireling, he who is not the shepherd, one who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees; and the wolf catches the sheep and scatters them.  The hireling flees because he is a hireling and does not care about the sheep.  I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own.  As the Father knows Me, even so I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep.  And other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they will hear My voice; and there will be one flock and one shepherd.  Therefore My Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again.  No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself.  I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again.  This command I have received from My Father."
 
- John 10:1-18 
 
In our present cycle of readings (John 7:1-10:21), Jesus is attending the Feast of Tabernacles in Jerusalem, and it is the final day of the Feast.  It is also the final year of Christ's earthly life and ministry.  He has just healed a man who was blind from birth, which is the sixth of seven signs in John's Gospel.  Yesterday we read that the religious leaders did not believe concerning the healed man, that he had been blind and received his sight, until they called the parents of him who had received his sight.  And they asked them, saying, "Is this your son, who you say was born blind?  How then does he now see?"  His parents answered them and said, "We know that this is our son, and that he was born blind; but by what means he now sees we do not know, or who opened his eyes we do not know.  He is of age; ask him.  He will speak for himself."  His parents said these things because they feared the Jews, for the Jews had agreed already that if anyone confessed that He was Christ, he would be put out of the synagogue.  Therefore his parents said, "He is of age; ask him."  So they again called the man who was blind, and said to him, "Give God the glory!  We know that this Man is a sinner."  He answered and said, "Whether He is a sinner or not I do not know.  One thing I know:  that though I was blind, now I see."  Then they said to him again, "What did He do to you? How did He open your eyes?"  He answered them, "I told you already, and you did not listen.  Why do you want to hear it again?  Do you also want to become His disciples?"  Then they reviled him and said, "You are His disciple, but we are Moses' disciples.  We know that God spoke to Moses; as for this fellow, we do not know where He is from."  The man answered and said to them, "Why, this is a marvelous thing, that you do not know where He is from; yet He has opened my eyes!  Now we know that God does not hear sinners; but if anyone is a worshiper of God and does His will, He hears him.  Since the world began it has been unheard of that anyone opened the eyes of one who was born blind.  If this Man were not from God, He could do nothing."  They answered and said to him, "You were completely born in sins, and are you teaching us?"  And they cast him out.  Jesus heard that they had cast him out; and when He had found him, He said to him, "Do you believe in the Son of God?"  He answered and said, "Who is He, Lord, that I may believe in Him?"  And Jesus said to him, "You have both seen Him and it is He who is talking with you."  Then he said, "Lord, I believe!"  And he worshiped Him.  And Jesus said, "For judgment I have come into this world, that those who do not see may see, and that those who see may be made blind."  Then some of the Pharisees who were with Him heard these words, and said to Him, "Are we blind also?"  Jesus said to them, "If you were blind, you would have no sin; but now you say, 'We see.'  Therefore your sin remains."
 
  "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door, but climbs up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.  But he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep."  My study Bible comments on today's entire reading that Jesus' conversation with the Pharisees continues, as there is no break between John 9:41 and 10:1.  This is taking place, as noted above, at the conclusion of the Feast of Tabernacles, the "last day, that great day of the feast" (John 7:37).  Jesus is contrasting their leadership with His own.  He characterizes them as failed pastors of God's people ("pastor," my study Bible reminds us, comes from the Latin word for "shepherd").  Their leadership has been marked by deceit and pride and has lacked compassion.  Christ, on the other hand, fulfills all virtue.  My study Bible cites the commentary of St. John Chrysostom, who explains that the door is God's Word, which indicates both the Scriptures and also our Lord Himself (see verses 7 and 9), as the Scriptures reveal God the Word.  Anyone who tries to lead in a way that is neither in Christ nor according to the teaching of the Scriptures is a thief and a robber.   Rather than using this door so all can see His works openly, my study Bible notes, these false shepherds are using underhanded means to control, steal, and manipulate people, ultimately destroying their souls (verse 10).  In contrast, those pastors who lead according to Christ will find eternal life (verse 9).

"To him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep hear his voice; and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.  And when he brings out his own sheep, he goes before them; and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice.  Yet they will by no means follow a stranger, but will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers."  Jesus used this illustration, but they did not understand the things which He spoke to them.   My study Bible comments that as Christ has intimate knowledge of every person, so also true pastors in the Church strive to know their people by name, that is, personally.  Such pastors try to understand each person's situation and needs, from the greatest to the least, and to express Christlike compassion for each (Hebrews 4:15).  In return, people respond to a true leader of this time, trusting that such a person is a follower of Christ.  St. Ignatius of Antioch is quoted:  "Where the bishop is present, there the people shall gather."  Truly, and in Orthodox tradition, the response of the faithful can be a better indicator of who is a true shepherd than the claims of leaders (John 7:47-49).  Note that these leaders fail to understand the things which He spoke to them (John 8:47).

Then Jesus said to them again, "Most assuredly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep.  All who ever came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them.  I am the door.  If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture.  The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy.  I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly."  My study Bible explains that the phrase all who ever came before Me refers not to Moses or to genuine prophets, but rather to those claiming to be the Messiah both before and after Christ, such as Judas of Galilee and Theudas (Acts 5:36-37).  The ultimate thief, my study Bible says, is Satan, who spreads lies and heresies among the people of God, thus luring away both leaders and people.  Life means living in God's grace here on earth, while the more abundant life indicates the Kingdom to come.
 
 "I am the good shepherd.  The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep.  But a hireling, he who is not the shepherd, one who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees; and the wolf catches the sheep and scatters them.  The hireling flees because he is a hireling and does not care about the sheep.  I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own.  As the Father knows Me, even so I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep."  What does it mean that He is the good shepherd?  My study Bible says He reveals that it means He enters by the door (verse 2) -- that is, He fulfills the Scriptures concerning Himself; He knows and is known by the Father (verse 15); He knows His people personally, and therefore is known by them (verses 3, 14); and finally He gives His life for the sake of His people (verse 11), which is a direct prophecy of His coming Passion.  

"And other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they will hear My voice; and there will be one flock and one shepherd."  My study Bible explains that other sheep are the Gentiles, who will be brought into the one flock with the Jews under the one shepherd.  Therefore, for instance, the Church transcends ethnic and racial lines.  From the beginning, it adds, it has been the teaching of the Church that there be one bishop serving a city (Canon 8 of I Nicea, AD 325), a principle affirmed in every generation.  St. Ignatius, writing to an early second century Church that held separate liturgies for Jewish and Gentile Christians, taught, "Be careful to observe a single Eucharist, for there is one Flesh of our Lord Jesus Christ, and one cup of His Blood that makes us one, and one altar, just as there is one bishop. . . . This is in line with God's will."

"Therefore My Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again.  No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself.  I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again.  This command I have received from My Father."  Jesus states, I lay down My life:  My study Bible says that He makes it clear that His life-giving death will be voluntary.  He does nothing apart from the will of His Father.  As He laid down His life for us, we lay down our lives for Him and for the sake of others.  

Who is the Good Shepherd?  Let us consider what a good shepherd does.  In Jesus' words, the first requirement is that the Good Shepherd lays down His life for His sheep.  Is it any wonder, then, that the Cross becomes the real centerpiece of the Gospels?  It is the first thing Jesus mentions after He calls Himself "the good shepherd."  Why should it be necessary for a good shepherd to lay down His life for the sheep?  To do so is, first of all, a great sign, a manifestation of the total love this particular Shepherd has for His sheep.  Of that we can be utterly assured.  It little matters -- or perhaps we should say, it matters not at all -- to which fold we belong as His sheep.  He has one flock and one flock only.  He cares totally for the sheep, in contrast to the hireling who flees in the face of danger to the flock.  Further on, Jesus teaches, "I know My sheep, and am known by My own."  He recognizes each one of those of His flock and knows them by name, and we who are of His flock know Him.  This is, again, a communication of love.  This kind of recognition is the way that love works, when you meet that rare someone whom you can trust among a whole field of people who vie for attention.  It is a kind of knowing that goes beyond words and beyond the surface, an unfolding of knowing and communion that stretches infinitely into the future.  This kind of love means that one is never through learning more about the other, and revealing more to that other.  It happens in the depth of a marriage or even a deep friendship, but it is mitigated by that infinite love of God, the Source of love and mediator of true communion.  This is what it means to be of one flock, to know to whom you belong, and by Whom you are loved and gathered in.  And Jesus reiterates, for a third time, "Therefore My Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again."  Not only does Christ love the sheep of His whole flock, and those to come whom we don't know, but His love is tied to the love of the Father -- who gives the command which Christ voluntarily follows to lay down His life for the sheep.  For this is not a heroic soldier, not a man defending his household, a firefighter or police officer or doctor or nurse who gives heroically to save others.  This is the command that guarantees that in this voluntary sacrifice to death, Christ will defeat death for all of us, so that we can follow.  He will lay down His life so that He can take it again, and break down that barrier of death for all of us, so that the flock can follow -- so that we can have life, and have it more abundantly.  Ultimately, we are those who know His voice, even when we know no other, even if we've never known one with this kind of love -- and He has already laid down His life for that love, for you who are of His flock, for when he brings out his own sheep, he goes before them; and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice.  He is the door of love, the key to the flock, the way for us to follow forward into life.  Even when it seems all other doors are closed, this is the one door you really need to find for that life, even life more abundantly.




No comments:

Post a Comment